Wednesday, November 8, 2017

grow your goods


this year marks our second year growing our garden goodies, and i have to say, i feel like i started to get the hang of it. last year felt like it was all trial and error, whereas this year i felt like i got to reap the rewards of my (very little) experience. overall, we stuck to similar plants, and introduced a few newbies to the group. 


the florals (not all pictured): knockout roses, mini roses which have now quadrupled in size (oh my!), rose of sharon, milkweed and lantanas aka all plants to help attract healthy pollinators like butterflies, and my personal favorite, the honeybee. 

herbs/veggies (not all pictured): citronella, lavender, mint, thyme, italian and greek oregano, sage, rosemary, garlic (purely as a companion plant for the sage, and not to eat), rosemary, lemon balm, scallions, parsley, chives, and basil. 


[my latest newbies: parsley and chives]


[l to r: lemon balm, scallions, and basil]


[checking for garden pests]


what i learned this year was to trust my gut when it comes to tending to our garden. i let my sage bloom for about a couple of weeks too long without trimming their flowers. because of this, it caused my sage to stop producing leaves and focus on reproducing. next year, i'll trust my intuition on keeping our plants healthy. 

my goals for adding in new plants next year would be to plant nasturtiums and marigolds to act as additional pollinators, and companion plants for our goods. now that this year's growing season is winding down, and i already can't wait to see what i can do next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger template designed By The Sunday Studio.